Saturday, October 26, 2013

Paul's Pumpkin Bars


Paul is awesome!  He is awesome because his pumpkin bars rock my house!  I met Paul on Allrecipes through Deb Marting.  If I meet Paul I will invite him to dinner and tell him how his bars rock our house each Autumn.  That being said, I'm back, I was gone, I'm here now.

So let me get right to the recipe.  I'm not one to post my life story in each post.  I like simple and to the point, but with a massive amount of visual artistry.  That is why I love baking, because the colors and textures of it just make me fall in love all over again.  I guess this is called "passion"?  

OK, on to the recipe.



Bar Ingredients

  • 4 eggs
  • 1   2/3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1 can plain pumpkin puree (or fresh)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg (fresh grated if possible)
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger

Frosting Ingredients

  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 3 ounces of softened cream cheese (no low fat pls)
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla, butter, or maple extract

 

How to get it done

1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9x13 or 10x15 pan with shortening  or Pam (the spray, not your neighbor)

2. Mix all together eggs, sugar, oil, pumpkin and vanilla until quite fluffy and very orange.

 3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. 
I use King Arthur Unbleached Flour.
Grate your own fresh Nutmeg, if possible.I get mine at World Market.  It is so worth the price of a few dollars.

Sift together all your beautiful spices and baking agents with your all-purpose flour.
4. Stir your sifted flour into your very orange pumpkin mix.  Beautiful!
5. Pour into greased pan. I used a glass 9x13 this time.

Bake 20 - 30 minutes (this will depend on the pan you use)




Cool on wire rack on counter until completely room temp.



In the mean time, make Paul's buttercream frosting.




  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 3 ounces of softened cream cheese (no low fat pls)
  • 1/2 cup softened butter
  • 1 tbsp. milk*
  • 1 tsp. vanilla, butter, or maple extract
Cream butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar, milk, and extract.  Beat until smooth and spreadable.  Add milk if too thick.
*You can also use a yummy seasonal alcohol like caramel salted vodka in place of milk to add a kick to the frosting. 






Enjoy!

Blissful and Domestic













   

No comments:

Post a Comment